Friday, March 17, 2006

Discretized continuum

There is a wedding band on my finger. Feels heavy sometimes. Sometimes, I'm afraid it may just slip off my finger and roll away someplace where it can never be retrieved. I am still getting used to it; rolling it periodically when I'm tense, when I'm not really thinking about anything in particular.

Not that the ring should signify that life is somehow more precious now or something. Perhaps it is. Perhaps it should. I don't know. I know that it feels heavy sometimes. And it takes a little getting used to. And yet, because it's been in the works for so long, it's natural that it's on.

Still, these instant transitions can be freaky strange. Together for all those years, Sally and me, before we tied the knot. Here we were, happily prancing around the garden, singing, making out, and then suddenly, BAM!! ... Before we knew it, we were hitched - husband and wife. It was all like being in a drug induced haze. And in that instant life had somehow changed.

Ok, well. I kinda took a few liberties in describing the event I described earlier. It obviously didn't happen in that fashion. But I digress. What I was getting round to saying was that there was none of the smooth transition that's always taking place in everyday life where you don't even know change's taking place and before you know it something has changed irrevocably.

Like those friggin' birthdays. All this while you're X age. Then your B'day comes along. And instantly, you are now Y years old, where X is simply NOT Y, and will never ever be Y (Sniff!). And yet, you're actually just a day, an hour, a minute, a second (ok.. ok...you get the picture!) older. Why then the drastic human implication of being a year older? What crime have I committed to deserve this judgement?!! Why God?! WHY?!!

It just so seems that human beings are unable to comprehend and deal with continuous values in life, and therefore believe in discretization in order to manage continuous events.

Just thought I'd share this information with you.

4 comments:

Venky said...

I guess we do it because its the easy way out! discrete, measurable ... and comprehensible!

Ketaki said...

Whatt? You still haven't learnt to say *Change is good* without a smirk on your face? ;)

Sarat said...

Ketaki,

Heh! Heh! That's because I'm still in denial about "change"!

Besides the smirk is there full-time for other reasons - for instance, because I am so full of myself all the time.

MYV said...

There is little we can do but accept change...It's fun to accept change. Coming to the US was a big change and you accepted it...like any other change..I guess marriage takes some getting used to. I think it is a lot of fun.