Wednesday, April 26, 2006

"Internalizing"

Kaavya Viswanathan is a teenager of ethnic Indian origin. She's also a student at Harvard. And she's currently in the news for various reasons. After receiving a half a million for her book titled How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild and Got a Life, she was in line for confirming a movie deal for her book; when came the news that Kaavya seemed to have plagiarized passages from another writer (Megan McCafferty) and her literary works (if you could really call chick lit literary works of any sort). She later released a statement to the press explaining that:

"I wasn't aware of how much I may have internalized Ms. McCafferty's words. I am a huge fan of her work and can honestly say that any phrasing similarities between her works and mine were completely unintentional and unconscious."

A few columnists since then have pointed out the irony of her finally coming up with something original, even if it was just an apology, by use of the word internalize.

That irony apart, I haven't read her book, nor do I wish to comment on it's substance. I'd probably never read it, or any of McCafferty's work either. But I guess it's a sobering turn in the story of a young girl of ethnic (read non-white ) background. Whether it's her fault or her publishers' or her book packager's, she screwed up! You're really depraved if you're ripping off someone else's work from a bad genre anyway to write your book. Kinda like copying/plagiarizing answers from the last placed student's solutions to the class final final exam.



I saw this piece on ABC news late nite that alterted me to this new phenom , a variation to conventional Yoga - broadly termed as Christian Yoga. The motivation for this seems to be that some people are not comfortable with the Hindu chanting that accompanies Yoga sessions, and want to make it Christian. Notice the absence of any guilt at the bastardisation of the form of worship of another religion.

Great - so now the Christians are out there internalizing aspects of Hinduism and Hindu worship (not for the first time too!). Whatever. These ignorant idiots are deliberately ignoring the implications of this plagiarizing of another religion's form of worship. And this is hardly the first or the last instance of all things Asian that have been bastardized by the West.

But what about the influence of music and movies from the west (or other parts of the world) in Indian pop culture? There are so many instances of obvious direct rip-offs in songs, scenes and complete movies in Bollywood (commercial Hindi cinema). Obviously plagiarization of all sorts is absolutely rampant in today's society. You could call it inspiration, imitation, internalization. Or whatever else you can come up with. Everybody's doing it.

The bottomline is that to get to success & fame fast, it's easy to rip off someone else's work to cash in on their success or what worked right for them. There's almost guaranteed success in that direction. Only thing of consequence, when you haven't bothered to acknowledge your original source for the inspiration and pay due respects to them, is the 11th commandment (internalized from Jeffrey Archer who internalized it from the 10 commandments) - Thou shalt not get caught!

12 comments:

Ketaki said...

just awesome!

brij said...

Reminds me of Engineering exams where we used to copy with a streak of originality. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sarat,
I gotta disagree with you on something here.
"Bad genre"? I dont see how you can make a comment like that. Art, in any form, is art. It's not upto us to condemn it. It's a form of expression, and even if chick lit may not be our favorite reads, you cant just trivialize it.

Im just saying that we cant say some genre is so terrible just coz we cant identify with it.

I dont see whats much wrong with chick lit anyway. I know I've expressed many an opinion against Mills and Boon back in college :) but honestly, I think chick lit is a way of expressing the same problems and issues women go through in life in a funny light-hearted way, whereas authors like Jhumpa Lahiri and Chitra Divakaruni use the same emotions in a serious and emotional way.
But there are sects of people all over the world who can identify with both as deeply as you and I do with Ayn Rand, say.

People deal with things in different ways. Can only serious stuff be applauded?

Yes, yes, I know, I know, its' your blog, your opinion, and if I dont like it, go elsewhere, yes :) But well couldnt help expressing this as I just felt it was unfair.
It's just as difficult to make someone laugh as it is to make some cry. All art need not be about making someone think, either.

As for plagiarism, yeah, what can one do? Sue the hell outta em, I say. Alls not fair in writing and art.

Brij.. engineering exams? You actually used to add some originality? I remember several copies of the same assignments going around.. it used to be the only legacy you guys used to pass on to us hehehehe

Anonymous said...

Oh that was me, Aparna. Forgot to sign my name.

Sarat said...

Aparna,

My apologies on trivializing chick lit thus. I completely agree with you about art being art.

However, in terms of several chick lit writers and publishing houses that support it - and if you read more into this case about publishing houses and packaging houses you'll see that - if you don't see the signs in the bookstores that is, is the assembly line approach to produing literature.

We all agree art is art. How much of the art is diluted though if the original primary intent of expression (with good money for good quality), is replaced by the prime intent of money-making (good money for mere quantity and good timing)?

Besides, if packaging houses actually do most of the editing and rewriting for new authors - where is the originality of the author in the work that is sold?

Art and profit can go hand in hand. It's absolutely allright to seek celeb status for a good piece of art. But I'd start judging art if profit becomes the more important aspect as opposed to free expression. This applies to books, music, movies, etc. Then I am not sure about it being art or a mere prop to rake in the money.

-sarat.

Sarat said...

BTW, apparently the male equivalent of chick-lit is - you guessed it - "dick-lit"! heh heh!

Anonymous said...

hehehe. Perhaps I got a tad passionate about it. The reason is that I recently picked up several pink and bright chick lit to see what the fuss is all about, and I realized the depth that some of them have. It might not still be my first choice when I go to the library, but we recently had a debate in class about its worth, and there, too I felt it was unnecessarily trivialized.

But yes, you're perfectly right. There are unethical examples everywhere. Some of em, one can tell, totally Stephen King-isquely money making types :)

And the male counterpart, Sarat! Eww!!
Can't think of what those books would be based on, though.
The trials and tribulations of handling soccer season the same time you discover the couch will no longer support your weight?

Sorry, very sexist of me. I dont really think that :)
Aparna

Sarat said...

I'm surprised no one's seemingly concerned about Christian Yoga!
:)

Sib said...

Interestingly, that part of the post was what caught my attention...am not interested much in "chick-lit" anyways and have had enough of my fill of the Kavya episode on NY Times..

Well, to play a chess game againt myself...
(a) I think the idea that people get to use the physical and mental benefits of yoga to achieve some balance in their lives...so if they use christian chants, and it helps more people improve their lives, then let them...at least the well being of a lot of people is better than anything else.
(b) Being an Indian, I am sure that soon they forget the origins of Yoga, and we won't be able to make any claims on it. Also, I wonder if the chants that go with Yoga are there for a particular reason...not necessarily Hinduism or reiligion...they could help with breathing techniques, mental peace, etc. So, will they lose the real essence of Yoga if they remove that important aspect of it, all in the name of something shallow, like organised religion

The above two points are opposing viewpoints (well, almost)...pick one of the two, or both...doesn't matter.

Sib said...

A new developement to the plagiarism case...

Check this out.

De-Silva said...

Sarat gaaru,

linked thru from Venki's blog...

I recently saw an ad on TV for an excercise program called 'Yoga Booty Ballet'!!! The point I'm trying to make is the commoditization of whatever it is that sells...

interesting blog!!

Arvind

Anonymous said...

You think that was bad? She apparently plagiarized from Rushdie's "Haroun"
http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/05/02/opal-mehta-more.html

Sigh.


- Aparna