Tuesday, May 09, 2006

X in Y

For every expatriate of a country x living abroad in country y, you might find yourself in 3 broad kinds of places in y. Some of you mught have experienced all three in one place over a period of time. (Several of you will have no idea what I am currently trippin' on.)

A. Oh so very few from x living around you

If so, you're probably thinking:
"God! I wish there was someone from x living around here. Someone I could relate to. This place is so freakin barren and alien. And I am so tired of being like the locals, eating their goddamned crappy food and pretending to enjoy their freakin' country and their music, and their so called culture and cuisine. Hell! I am just here for the opportunities and the money."


B. A good number of those from x living around you. But they're not all over the place or something.

If so, you're probably thinking:
"God! I wish there weren't so many of them from x around here like me. Especially those untidy, smelly ones with the funny accents they haven't bothered to adapt to y. Now the locals think I am like that smelly, dark x character - while I am clearly not. Also, I am not unique here in any way. I should be friendly with those from x though, since I don't want to feel alone in an alien country. But they'll start cosying up to me too much, or judge me and all that - me with my changed lifestyle and already having adapted myself to y. In fact, I secretly want these y's to think I am from y and not really from x. But I am not really from y am I? And what if these y people always think of me as from x no matter how y I become? I don't want to be considered a x'ian! What do I do? God! I am so freakin' confused!"


C. A very large number of x living around you. So many that they can be seen and heard everywhere.

And if that's so, then you're probably thinking:
"God! These freakin' locals. They always look at me funny and make fun of my accent all the time. You know what? F**k 'em. I am going to be an x'ian and stop trying to be like a y'ian. I do wish though that my people drove better and smelt better and spoke better! But I am glad there are so many of us around. I feel much safer with our presence here. I can be myself. At least the self I was back home. I don't even have to befriend the freakin' y's if I don't feel like it. Ok maybe a couple. But, I don't really care too much if these y's understand me or not. Let them complain. Soon, we'll (those from x that is) be taking over the whole goddamn place and there's nothing these y folks can do about it. HEEHEEEHAAHAHHHHAAAAHH!!"


Conclusion:
Life's screwed up. So's my generalization. Still, spend less time worrying about "How do ah lose my identity real fast?", or "How on Earth am I going to keep it intact?", and spend more time trying to discover your true identity. What then is your true identity? Who knows. But I've got a feeling that it's got more to do with where you want to go, than where you are now, or where you come from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with your conclusions/opinions