Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Promises and lies

It was sometime in November last year ('05) I think. Venue: Cup-A-Joe, Time: 6.30 p.m. (or thereabouts). I was seated along with the usual suspects; DC, Sibin, Salil, SK, and others who kept joining in and leaving, while we stayed put discussing the events of the day/week/month/year/decade/century... you get the picture (that's right - slackers of the world unite!!). Topics usually range from anything to anything. There's not too much thats sacred. And more often than not, we focus the it's-your-turn-to-be-made-fun-of spotlight on one another.

I admit I was one of those reveling in giving the others a hard time. Not that I am necessarily too incisive, witty, sarcastic, or any of those things that make people interesting. But then, hey, you've got to give me points for trying. Trouble is (besides not being good at it), I don't really know when to stop. And of course, the gutter-bred language thats part of my normal vocalbulary usually doesn't help tone my attempted satire down too much.

Well, the long and short of that evening in November from my perspective, was that I publicly announced that I would go easy on people, especially my friends, not just including those who I met up for coffee with. And I say this with pride, that I did go easy on people for the most part.

Trouble with going easy though was that, as Sibin pointed out, nothing had changed too much after this new-found compassion that I exhibited. The one thing that did change was that I ended up apologizing a lot more after every sarcastic comment that I made. But in my defense, I couldn't really have gone cold turkey all of a sudden. I tried my best to phase it out. And I think for that one month or so, I did my karma a world of good. I started to feel that I was getting in to the pages of the good books of the Big Guy up in the Sky. Ah! The sweet smell of goodness. Sniff! Sniff! Man, I was starting to smell real good! (Yeah! Who need's Axe?!)

And then I went on this trip to Mumbai, come December. The trip that would be very eventful for me (got married and all that you see!). After my return, it was business as usual. All vows of going easy were forgotten. I guess the lease ended last year. Time to renew the terms. I don't really know for how long though. Perhaps, I could start with one complete day. And if that gets too stressful, then one little evening at Cup-A-Joe.

I apologize in advance guys.

No comments: