Thursday, June 22, 2006

2 kinds

People love categorizing things. Easier to manage - things are if they're categorized. And as far as categorizing people is concerned - for most of us it's usually categorizing people into 2 kinds. The types differ. There's good or evil, right or wrong, black or white, rich or poor, capitalist or communist, with you or against you. Stuff. All appropriate in some context or situation

Increasingly though for me, there are just two kinds of people. Those who are (1) honest to themselves, and (2) those who aren't. And while I don't (quite ironically) know where I belong, I sure know where I want to.

I can't really think of any way to tell for sure who belongs to which category. Mainly because that categorization is so completely internal. I know would like to belong to category 1. Heck, I think we all should aspire to be in category 1. But I also know that I am not really that honest to myself. I know sometimes being honest to oneself is depressing. Especially when you realize that you're not as virtuous as you believe yourself to be.

But if you really want to start categorizing others as honest to themselves or dishonest to themselves, then you're missing the point somewhat - as I am. Finding out who you are is basically a self-test, and failing it means that you obviously have a lot of work to do internally.

And while I don't really think there's a definite sign that tells you who you are in this context at least, I am starting to think that one way to start off on that path is having an awareness or understanding of a sense of irony. Particularly the ironies in your own life. And if you can't see the irony of how things have turned out for you - you've really really really missed the point all this while.

1 comment:

Venky said...

Categorizing stuff - now why does that sound all too familiar ;)
I agree with you about the being honest to oneself part ... and that there is no point in judging other people ... or their behavior.
And I would add this that I heard from someone - regarding ethical and unethical choices - especially in business environment - He said (not verbatim) "Every decision can not be measured as black or white - there is infinite Grey and you are forced to make grey choices - but at the end of they day make sure that you're back is to the black and you're walking towards the white"
my 1.5 cents

-Venky
p.s. and the stupic word verification is making me type "fbpwxpp" - thats hard!