Sunday, July 30, 2006

Storm Large - Bad Ass Beauty!

I guess its the easier alternative out - put up a post with minimal effort by embedding a YouTube video link. But really, what I am more concerned about is whether the material I "work so hard at" putting up in some way contributes to making your day interesting, if even in the smallest manner possible.

Ok. Thats mostly bull. I am lazy. No getting around it. I have a whole lot of work that I am very stressed about, and that allows me the liberty of continuing to being an ass about all the things I should be doing, people whose calls I should be returning, people who I should be calling, just a whole lot of stuff that's been on the backburner for a while now.

"No. Not now. A terrible purpose awaits me impatiently. All else pales before it. I just cannot be bothered with the trivialities of our social existences while my destiny calls. Not now. No."

But back to the subject of the post.

This is of course my third post connected with "Rockstar: Supernova" on CBS. I apologize to those out there who really don't give a damn about all this Rockstar business. But, if you've read my earlier two posts (1. and 2.), I linked videos of 4 contestants that kinda impressed me on post 1 after week 1 of their performances. Since then, Josh Logan has sorta alienated himself and seems more of a misfit in a setup that isn't be willing to be dragged into so much soul. Heavy metal is definitely a stretch for him. In short, he's a musician - but he doesn't belong here.

I still back Lukas Rossi and Dilana to be the front runners for this gig tho. Even if they don't make it as "Rockstar" i.e. a chance to front the band "Supernova" - and sometimes I think they probably deserve a better deal than this one entails for them as winners - I'd follow their individual music careers with a whole lotta interest. Possibly even more than I'd care about Supernova really!

While it's difficult to find other performances for Dilana on, say YouTube, the search term "Lukas Rossi" does return other performances of Lukas not connected to the show. And yes, he's good. Very good. And I'll try and put up links if possible for Lukas a little later, for those lazy or uninclined to do any searching.

But before we glimpse more into Lukas, there is one other person who deserves attention. I have to reiterate - that Storm Large is one helluva package. Searching for her on YouTube, returned this live performance of hers (location: I-Dunno), with her erstwhile band "Storm, Inc."




This beauty is one Bad Ass, isn't she! And not that I thought any comparisons to Jimmy Morrison were valid here, but her diatribe did sorta rake up the memory of the "Lizard King". But even outside of that comparison, there's a lot more to her than she's revealed on Rockstar. If all her live shows are like this little piece, i.e. she can let herself go each time she performs, then add her to the list of people whose musical career I'd follow. With a personality as intriguing as hers, that's not going to be much of a bother. Not at all.

6 comments:

brij said...

Welll... I do like Delana a lot. Not heard any of Rossi's songs. Storm Large - well she is a pocket dynamo but her stage performance comes out a little bit too preplanned. for eg. in the video you put up the only reason that her words don't hold water to the Lizard King's is that there is a difference between actually baring your soul and projecting the same

Sarat said...

Its true, her stage performance looks well-rehearsed. But I guess, mentally I was comparing her less to the legends of the past, and more to the average American Idol and like show assemby-line contestant/winner (barring Fantasia).
I find a lot more uniqueness on this show than there's on the other Idol and Idol copycats.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's way better than the other shows. I've liked Storm from the beginning, and got into Dilana after she did "Ring of Fire". That performance gave me chills!

Venky said...

I have to agree with Brij - while she looks cute and all - she's not much of a singer and NOT EVEN in the remote vicinity of Jim - hell no! I know I'm biased and all that but please - Jim Morrisson felt what he said (at least when he was awake) ... this chick doesn't cut it in that department.

-Venky

Sarat said...

*Daniel: Until the most recent performance it seemed to me that the women had a clear edge over the men, especially with Lukas drifting away into ... I dunno... punk mediocrity perhaps.

Storm and Dilana seem the most professional of the performers. Both are into whatever it is that they do. Good personalities both, and if you watch the reality episodes, they seem the least concerned about what songs they'll be left with after everyone's picked out their songs.

*Venky: Gotta disagree with you on Storm not being much of a singer. My feeling is that she's underrated as a musician because of her looks. The looks are a big plus. But she knows how to work the audience, and she sings very well. In short, THAT's a performer (Check out her Week 5 performance of "Changes" by Bowie - a very subdued stage persona, but still a pretty decent vocal performance - very versatile!). She's a great package all by herself. Maybe not a best fit for a heavy metal / grunge band (Garbage comparisons will start coming in then) - but she's far better than several established acts.

Dilana - of course - is another standout. Probably even more than Storm really. She'll do well too. She's proven herself to be vocally versatile. And I sincerely hope she carves her own niche musically and not try to beat the metal head bands at their own game. It would be too easy for her to do that. She could do more. I dunno what - but her changing things around in these few show tapings tells me that it's there within her.

Sib said...

Sarat,

Since you're such a big fan of Storm Large (And I'm sure that the fact that is is one hell of good-looking babe has nothing to do with it), here you go...

I agree...she is multi-talented...and hot ! sizzle...