Thursday, March 12, 2009

"Bhimsen"

Bhimsen (by Prem Panicker) (Link updated.)

Prem Panicker's story series views the world of the Mahabharata through the eyes of Bhima or Bhimsen, the second of the official five Pandava brothers, also the mightiest of them all according to legend. It is in episodic form and is a work in progress/unfinished. Meaning - episodes are being written as we speak and the story updated periodically. The link above points to the entire archive including Prem's preamble and the source of his inspiration.

Those familiar with the Mahabharata will find this easier to follow perhaps. I have been following it since Prem started writing it on his relatively new website (see side link under "Reading List").

Why follow it though if you already know the story?

Ah, but, does merely knowing a sequence of events mean that you really know a story? There are as many perspectives to a story as there are readers. It's also very well written.


Update:
Prem's continuing the series and his blogging over at his new site. So follow the latest Bhimsen episodes over there.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)

Chitra Divakaruni's latest book, "The Palace of Illusions" is the Mahabharata from Draupadi's perspective. It's utmost beautiful.. I was so moved reading it- a completely different woman than who we read existed on the sidelines of the Pandava's lives.

I think Prem Panicker ripped off her idea :p but I guess all's fair in love and word.

Anonymous said...

A friend sent me a link to this. Thanks for the mention of the series -- but feels strange that in the age of google, there is such casual suggestions of ideas being ripped off.

For the record: 1. In my very first post in this series, I mention the original Malayalam book on which my own narrative is based, and clearly state that I am transcreating it. There are several adjectives to describe what I am doing, but "ripping off" is not one of them.

2. On the subject of whose idea is being ripped off by who: the story of the Mahabharat from Draupadi's perspective has been written way before Chitra Divakaruni even learnt her alphabet. One instance: the Malayalam novel Ini Nhaan Urangatte [Let Me Sleep Now] by PK Balakrishnan.

So yeah, Aparna -- all seems "fair in love and word"; only, it isn't me you should be saying that to.

Cheers

Prem

Sarat said...

Prem:

Thanks for visiting. Been a long time reader - started following your articles with your daily match reports on the Ind-Aus 2001 Test series (most notably those after Day 3 and Day 4 of the 2001 Kolkota Test).

Didn't really expect you( i.e. "the author") to actually see this post, much less comment on it. Pretty cool.

I do hope Aparna reads your comment/response.

Anonymous said...

You're right - it was way too casual of me to use the words ripped off without any basis or research

My apologies

:)

-Aparna

Pradip Bhattacharya said...

Pratibha Ray's much awarded novel "Yajnaseni" (RUPA, translated by me) came out before Divakaruni's and is much superior as a work of art.

Sarat said...

Pradip:

Yajnaseni sounds like another wonderful book on the Mahabharata! Any suggestion coming from an expert on the topic such as you is of very high value. Thanks for visiting, more so for your comments/suggestion.

GG said...

I actually found Prem's work quite interesting. Haven't gone through all the posts yet...but it was a fun read.

Sarat said...

GG:

I concur- found/find Prem's work very interesting as well.

Anonymous said...

I blame you and this post for the loss of productivity last friday afternoon and saturday morning reading Bhimsen blog.

Now I wish the all the articles had been written. I am just itching for the next ep.

Anonymous said...

I blame you and this post for the loss of productivity last friday afternoon and saturday morning reading Bhimsen blog.

Now I wish the all the articles had been written. I am just itching for the next ep.